In the news
Woman’s Condom and SILCS Diaphragm
The Woman’s Condom
Current status: The Woman’s Condom is in early introduction. PATH and partners in multiple countries are assessing market opportunities and working toward introduction, with an initial focus on China (marketed as marketed as O’Lavie™) and sub-Saharan Africa (marketed as V brand). Read more about the Woman’s Condom:
- The future of sex? Mosaic Magazine. May 4, 2014. Available at: http://mosaicscience.com/story/future-sex.
- Female condoms, a new choice. China Daily. May 30, 2013. Available at: http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-05/30/content_16545341.htm
- Birth control hits the spot. Mail and Guardian (South Africa). September 13, 2013. Available at: http://mg.co.za/article/2013-09-13-00-birth-control-hits-the-spot/
- The next big thing (pause) in sex: female condoms. Humanosphere podcast. October 4, 2013. Available at: http://www.humanosphere.org/podcasts/2013/10/the-next-big-thing-pause-in-sex-female-condoms/.
- The return of the female condom? BBC News Magazine, December 14, 2013. Available at: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25348410.
The SILCS Diaphragm
Current status: The SILCS Diaphragm received regulatory approval in Europe and Canada in 2013, and is being marketed as the Caya™ contoured diaphragm. The USFDA cleared the Caya diaphragm for marketing in August 2014; a the product was launched in the U.S. in June, 2015. PATH is working with partners in developing countries to bring the diaphragm to developing-country markets. Read more about the SILCS Diaphragm:
- Introducing SILCS: It’s Not Your Mother’s Diaphragm. USAID Impact blog. June 2013. Available at: http://blog.usaid.gov/2013/06/introducing-silcs-not-your-mothers-diaphragm/
- New Contoured Diaphragm Ready for Market. Radio interview: KUOW’s The Record. September 24, 2014. Available at: http://kuow.org/post/new-contoured-diaphragm-ready-market
- Can collaboration resuscitate global health funding? The Guardian Professional. July, 2013. Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2013/jul/31/public-private-partnerships-global-health-programmes
- 6 Innovative Ways We’re Reinventing Birth Control. Mashable. September, 2014. Available at: http://mashable.com/2014/09/10/new-birth-control/
- SILCS: It’s not your mama’s diaphragm (not her spermicide, either). Bedsider. February, 2012. Available at: http://bedsider.org/features/159
- Block that sperm! The Atlantic. February, 2015. Available at: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/block-that-sperm/384971/
- Oh, Hell Yes, There’s a New Non-Hormonal Birth Control on the Market: Praise be to thy inventor. Cosmopolitan. July, 2015. http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a43090/oh-hell-yes-theres-a-new-non-hormonal-birth-control-on-the-market/
- Should You Consider Using a Diaphragm? New York Magazine, The Cut. July, 2015. http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/the-diaphragm-making-a-comeback.html
- The diaphragm is back—and it’s better than ever: The return of a once-loved birth control method
Nylon. July, 2015. http://www.nylon.com/articles/diaphragm-caya
- Making a More Modern Diaphragm. The Atlantic. August, 2015. http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/08/modern-diaphragm-caya-birth-control/401336/