Female condom advocacy
Creating an enabling environment for programming
The case for female condoms is compelling. Female condoms provide much-needed dual protection from unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. They empower women with a tool to initiate safer sex. New types of female condoms—like the Woman’s Condom—are coming to market and expanding couples’ choices. Female condoms are cost-effective when offered as part of a well-planned prevention program. They help advance progress in meeting international health goals, including several of the Millennium Development Goals and the International Conference on Population and Development.
Despite the role female condoms play in improving reproductive health and advancing human rights, the method is not widely available or accessible to those in need. Awareness and knowledge of the method is low among potential users and policymakers. Investment to support large-scale training, programming, and distribution has not been sufficient to meet growing demand.
Advocacy to improve availability and access
PATH is advocating at the international and national levels to improve availability and accessibility of female condoms. We are building support among decision-makers in a number of ways:
- Raising awareness of female condoms and the need for dual protection through participation in conferences, meetings, events, and advocacy campaigns. For example, we are a founding partner of Global Female Condom Day, celebrated each year on September 16.
- Linking the voices of grassroots supporters of female condoms with international decision makers. Our Female Condoms Are_______ Film Contest was an innovative approach to collecting and sharing the stories of female condom champions at the community level.
- Collaborating with a range of organizations and partners advocating for female condoms, including the Universal Access to Female Condoms (UAFC) Joint Programme and the National Female Condom Coalition.
- Sharing knowledge and lessons learned with stakeholders, including publications such as Female Condom: A Powerful Tool for Protection, authored by PATH and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).
Take action today
There are many ways that you can join us in advocacy to expand protection options for women.
- Receive the Woman’s Condom news blast. These periodic emails provide updates on the Woman’s Condom project, key events and female condom resources, and opportunities to take action. Sign up today.
- Host your own “Female Condoms Are” film screening. Raise awareness and increase support for female condom programming in your community. Download our film screening toolkit for everything you need to host your own event.
- Share your thoughts, stories, and feedback. We want to hear from you! Whether you have creative advocacy ideas, stories about what female condoms mean to you, or questions about new products like the Woman’s Condom, send us an email.
Female condom advocacy and awareness-raising initiatives
Please visit these websites for more information and resources about female condom advocacy and awareness raising.
- Universal Access to Female Condoms (UAFC) Joint Programme
- National Female Condom Coalition
- Prevention Now! Campaign, of the Center for Health and Gender Equity
- The Condomize Campaign and All About Condoms
- Cervical Barrier Advancement Society
- Coalition Advancing Multipurpose Innovations (CAMI)
- “Female Condoms Are” film contest finalists on PATH’s YouTube channel
- Female Condom Milestones advocacy document
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID) technical issue brief on female condoms
- Global Female Condom Day blog on Impatient Optimists, a blog by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.