PATH is collaborating with Johnson & Johnson Vietnam on Breath for Life, a pilot program which aims to address the high tuberculosis (TB) burden among children in Vietnam where recent data indicates that up to 90 percent of new childhood TB cases are undetected. TB progresses more rapidly in children, but can be much harder to detect than in adults. The significant gap in diagnosis means that tens of thousands of children are suffering unnecessarily, and infection is left to spread.
PATH and Johnson & Johnson Vietnam initiated Breath for Life in recognition that cross-sector collaboration can play a powerful role in reducing childhood mortality and morbidity caused by the disease. The program draws on PATH’s long-standing collaboration with national and international partners to strengthen TB control in Vietnam. PATH’s strategy focuses on harnessing the power of a mix of partners to identify and treat people with TB, forming powerful links across the system. This partner mix includes the National TB Program, provincial health departments, and public- and private-sector providers. By 2015, over 12,000 cases of TB have been detected through this successful approach.
Breath for Life is piloted in Nghe An, a province highly burdened with tuberculosis and HIV. The project aims to:
- Link and engage a new mix of partners to strengthen the detection, treatment and management of TB in children
- Increase access to, and use of, preventative therapy among children in close contact with pulmonary TB patients
- Improve systems for recording and reporting TB in children
The National TB Control Program and the Nghe An Provincial Health Department are committed to working with PATH and Johnson & Johnson Vietnam to implement and evaluate the pilot, which will inform recommendations for application across other provinces of Vietnam and beyond.
Johnson & Johnson blog: The Battle to End TB
National television feature (VTC10): Strengthening prevention and treatment for pediatric tuberculosis
- Advancing Childhood Tuberculosis Control in Vietnam
- Advancing Childhood Tuberculosis Control in Vietnam [Vietnamese]
Implemented by PATH, the Breath for Life project is supported by Janssen Pharmaceutica NV, one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson.
For more information about Breath for Life, contact Dr. Kimberly Green at firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about our previous work to address TB
- Using mHealth to combat multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Vietnam
- Supporting Tuberculosis Control in Vietnam [English]
- Supporting Tuberculosis Control in Vietnam [Vietnamese]
- Public-Private Mix for Tuberculosis and HIV